Fear In East Asia As 38-year-old Man Dies From Bubonic Plague In Mongolia


A 38-year-old man has died from the bubonic plague after eating an infected squirrel, officials confirmed.

The man, who has become the third fatality since July, became seriously ill with a high fever in Mongolia's Khovsgol province after devouring a marmot - a large ground squirrel.


He died of respiratory and cardiovascular problems while on a respirator. Some 25 people who he was in contact with in Tosontsengel district were tested for the deadly disease, although no further infections have been located.


It has been three months since the country recorded its first case. 


Mongolia has suffered two previous deaths this summer, a 15-year-old boy in Govi-Altai province in July, and a 42-year-old man in Khovd province in August.


A total of 17 of Mongolia’s 21 provinces are now at risk from bubonic plague, says the country’s National Centre for Communicable Diseases.

Post a comment

0 Comments

Search